“I did it! I did it! I did it!!!” That was my Facebook status update after completing the SheRox Triathlon yesterday. Being able to say “I did it!” is the reason I Tri and the reason I:
- Completed a mock-tri during one of the worst heat waves of the summer. Many thanks to Colleen and the other volunteers who ensured we were well hydrated during the workout – whether by Gatorade, cold wash cloths or super soaker water guns.
- Purchased and learned how to ride with clips. Only two falls so far, so I count myself lucky. Many thanks for the words of advice dispensed during the Wednesday night Rodes Ride – my rides are continuing to improve.
- Woke up at an ungodly hour yesterday morning. Who knew there is more than one 4 o’clock each day? Again, props to Colleen for the last minute advice on dealing with the weather and how to prepare.
- Hauled my gear and my bike for more than a mile to the transition area. On the bright side, I was completely warmed up by the time I got my bike set-up.
- Walked around barefoot in a field FILLED with goose poop. This became a non-issue once I got ready for the swim – switched my glasses for my goggles and voila! the poop disappeared.
- Stuck my toe in, let alone MY ENTIRE BODY, to the Schuykill River. The best part of this stage was the men assisting with swim exit!
- Rode over 15 miles while soaking wet. Beautiful course, but the hills, oh, the hills!
- Ran over 3 miles with my shoes filled with water. Not much to say about this one – if I passed you on the run, I apologize for the obnoxious sounds my sneakers made.
As the newest member of the MHWTC, I want to thank each of you. Your warmth in welcoming me, as well as your smiles, thumbs-up and words of encouragement, give me the courage to Tri and Tri again! And your support enables me to say “I did it!”